Serious injuries that result from accidents often affect the rest of the body, especially if you suffer from a neck and back injury. The brain, neck and spinal cord are integral segments that control the body’s motor skills, and are easily compromised as the result of an accident. A back and neck injury can change the way a person walks, talks and feels, causing paralysis and complete loss of bodily functionality.
If you have been injured in an accident, or know witnessed an injury as a result, look for symptoms of back and neck injuries that may include:
- An Oddly Situated Head (leaning, tilting, askew)
- Numbness/Tingling Emanating through Appendages
- Trouble Walking
- Loss of Bladder/Bowel Control
- Shock (Can include confusion, pale, clammy skin and/or blue tinge to the lips and fingernail beds)
- Pain in the Neck, Back or Head
These injuries can be caused by a number of accidents, or intentional events that can leave the injury victim’s livelihood in question, and may require a Las Vegas brain injury lawyer to determine how to move forward with financial certainty, which is where the Las Vegas brain injury attorney group Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith can help.
General Causes of Back and Neck Injuries
A back and neck injury can be caused by a number of variables, but the most common causes that are treated by medical professionals include:
- Degenerative Disc Diseases
- Diving Accidents
- Electric Shock
- Extreme Body Manipulation (Twisting, Bending)
- Falls from Significant Heights
- Pinched Nerve
- Sports Accidents
- Traumatic Vehicle Accident Injuries
- Wounds by Weapons, including Bullets or Knives
Each of these common injuries requires professional treatment to keep the injured individual on track, and able to pursue the quality of life they deserve. Although their mobility may be altered, everyone deserves to receive the proper treatment that will allow them the ability to live the best life they can.
Treatment of Back and Neck Injuries in Las Vegas
Each back and neck injury requires specific treatment as directed by a medical professional. These exceptionally delicate injury cases require treatment based on the location, cause and severity of the injury. Spinal cord damage will require completely specialized treatment, which could be completely different than disc herniation. Concerns of paralyzation, nerve damage and mobility are key components to the injured person’s care.
No matter how the injury occurs, whether it is at work, on the sports field, or a car accident, a head, neck, back or spinal cord injury requires special handling, to avoid additional injury.
If you have been injured, or have witness an brain injury, follow these careful steps to help the injured immediately:
- Call for Emergency Help without Delay
- Do NOT Move the Victim (further damage can occur with shifting)
- Do NOT Allow the Victim to Move on His or Her Own Until Help Arrives
- Stabilize the Victim’s Movement by Holding the Neck & Head in a Stable (do not straighten neck, simply stabilize the position)
- Prevent Standing Up or Walking by the Victim
- Do NOT Roll the Victim Over, Unless He or She is Choking on Vomit, Blood or Materials
- If the Person Must Be Rolled, Two People Should Perform the Maneuver to Stabilize the Head, Neck and Spine
- Start CPR if the Victim is Not Breathing (Do Not Move the Head, Move the Jaw Instead)
- If the Victim is Wearing a Helmet, Do NOT Remove It
Serious Injuries Caused by Negligence Require Immediate Help
It is important for everyone to understand that individuals that have suffered from a back or neck injury is in a potentially life-threatening predicament. Even if the injury is not fatal, it is certainly life-altering and will require medical care, rehabilitation and possibly life-long prescription requirements, all of which are costly and constraining.
If you or a loved one has suffered from a serious injury, consulting with a Las Vegas brain injury lawyer should be at the top of your list to ensure your best interests are represented. The expert Las Vegas brain injury attorney group at Bertoldo, Baker, Carter & Smith focuses on helping our clients require physically, mentally, emotionally and financially, so that their injury does not define their existence.